Bond – Quantum Of Bonds
Making of Sky Movies 007 HD Channel Trailer – Radium Behind-the-Scenes-Film
How much love can we throw at a James Bond trailer? This is the question we ask ourselves … how far will we go to capture, create and authenticate an original sound for Bond? Quite far, as it turns out. Short of selling a body part (though at times, we may risk losing one) we do throw ourselves into this to be able to bring to the world of Bond 100% authentic sound from Radium, every impact, bullet, boom and thud crafted from our own hands inhouse at Radium … as you can see in our behind the scenes minifilm above … See below for
- Indepth Project Narrative
- Sky Movies HD 007 Full Trailer
- Work in Progress Sound Files
- Photo Gallery
Sky Movies 007 HD
The BSkyB launch of the new Bond channel, Sky Movies HD 007, is inevitably going to make a huge splash and our trailer has to do the same. Sky tell us they know it’s just the right job for Radium because of our considerable experience in recording cars, guns and explosions, and because they also know how far we like to push things when we’re given the headroom to max it out. As soon as we see the first visual cut we know we’re heading down the rabbit hole and staying there until we’ve driven ourselves as far as we can to get exactly the right sound for the right car, the right impacts for the right scrape, gunshot, and twist and turn.
Bond v Car v Baddie
So … all the Bonds … all in one place .. this is the new channel … with stunning visuals brilliantly executed by Sky Creative, the Bonds weaving in and out of each scene racing, overtaking, evading enemy fire. Next up the cars … we track down, trek to and capture the sounds of the Aston Martin, Lotus, Sunbeam, as well as the three vehicles that we buy, drop from a great height and smash to pieces to record and create some mega impacts. We travel all over the country to record these supercars and spend a lot of time capturing the precise motor, exhaust, pass-by and take off from each vehicle using the same approach as we have done in the past for Ferrari, Mercedes, and Bentley projects, as well as 200+ cars recorded for the games industry.. using onboard microphones and real time on load recordings. Then we hire out a scrap yard and buy 3 cars which we proceed to drop, crash, smash and drive over.. the results are perfect source material to create the detail that is integral to the Bond trailer, the scraping, twisted metal on concrete, the sheer weight impacts as the cars drop from the height emulating the physical sound of a car crash in real life.
Tick Tick Boom..
Now the guns.. real, heavy, loud … quite scary how having an AK-47 in hand brings out our inner baddies and handling a HK G36C flips us into a 00 agents in a matter of seconds … the AK-47 weighs a ton. The guns are loud and very intense as is really obvious from the footage … Andrew shell shocking … while Peter coolly delivers just the right Bond-esq poses. The AK-47 was the loudest, for the record.
With our authentically recorded source material and finely detailed sound design playing the key role in driving the narrative forward, we write the music to focus around strings, brass, piano and lots of taiko drumming for a sense of urgency and excitement, layering in high impact booms and thuds to punctuate the action. See and hear the end result below …
- Supercar Sessions: Aston Martin DB5 - Dave & Pete set up
- Supercar Sessions: Nearly ready!
- Supercar Sessions: Aston Martin DB5 - Pete records cockpit sound
- Supercar Sessions: Capturing the Aston Martin DB5 at speed
- Supercar Sessions: next ... the Sunbeam!
- Supercar Sessions: Pete on cockpit sound in the Sunbeam
- Supercar Sessions: Sunbeam sound at speed!
- Supercar Sessions: Aston Martin DBS
- Supercar Sessions: Aston Martin DBS - Dale on cockpit sound
- Supercar Sessions: Pete & Declan ready for on road sound
- Supercar Sessions: Capturing the Aston Martin DBS
- Supercar Sessions: Dale setting up at the Lotus garage
- Supercar Sessions: Lotus Esprit makes an entrance
- Supercar Sessions: Recording the Lotus Esprit on road
- Wrecking Sessions: Pete swoops on the smashup sounds
- Wrecking Sessions: Pete & Dale ... ready for impact!
- Wrecking Sessions: Pete makes some smashup sounds of his own ...
- Gun Sessions: The G36C Assault Rifle unleashes Pete's inner villain!
- Gun Sessions: Andrew gets personal with the AK-47
- Studio Sessions: Dave adds layers to the underscore
- Studio Sessions: Pete and Andrew sculpt up the sound